Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
These are delicious and make a good supper dish served with a green salad on the side.
- 1 swede, peeled and cut into small chunks (rutabaga, about 800g)
- 2 potatoes, cut into chunks (about 400g)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- oil (for frying)
- 200 g chopped bacon or 200 g lardons
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour, for coating (about 3 tbs)
- 25 g butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 200 ml creme fraiche
- Cook the swede and potatoes in boiling salted water for 15 to 20 minutes until tender.
- Drain well and mash together Fry the onion in a little oil, then add the lardons and fry until lightly browned.
- Add to the mash with the parsley.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper andmix well.
- Make into 8 cakes and chill for 1 hour until firm.
- Lightly coat in flour.
- Heat the butter in a nonstick frying pan and cook, in batches, over a medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes each side until browned and heated though.
- To make the dill sauce, mix the dill into the cremem fraiche and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the hot cakes with the sauce and a salad on the side.
- Serves 4 as a starter or 2 to 3 as a main course.