Recipe by * Pamela *
I received these from my Christmas Bake exchange and I just love these little treats! Thanks Suzanne for sharing the recipe with me.
Top Review by mom_of_4
5 stars plus more!! I have made many other caramel bar recipes that use the caramel ice cream topping instead of the real caramels and this one is way better. I love the fact that I can actually taste the caramel. The other recipes are good, but I couldn't taste the caramel in them. And I was never really happy with the outcome. This one baked up great and the caramel was soft. I baked the crust for 10 mins added the chips, caramel and topping and baked for 15 additional mins. Before I baked it I pressed down the topping so it would not be as crumbly when we ate them. I did double the oatmeal crust part but kept the caramels to the original amount and still baked it in the 9x13 pan. I will use this recipe as my #1 caramel oatmeal bar recipe. It was fabulous.
Melt together in a sauce pan
- 32 unwrapped caramels
- 5 tablespoons evaporated milk
Mix together in a bowl
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 cups chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Press half of oatmeal mixture into a 9 x 13 pan Bake at 350° for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle on enough chocolate chips to cover.
- Then top with caramel mixture, then remaining oatmeal mixture.
- Bake another 15-18 minutes.
- Cool and cut.