Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I have been thinking about this recipe for years, but could not find one that measured up to the one my late Grandmother made. Finally, I found this (source unknown) COOKS NOTE: V 8 juice can be subbed for tomato juice, it is up to your preference.
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- onion juice
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped stuffed olives
- 1 lb cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cucumber, unpeeled, grated & drained
- salt & pepper
- avocado, slices
- artichoke heart
- 4 tablespoons durkee salad dressing (as needed, found in the condiment isle of your grocery)
- Boil tomato juice with seasonings. Steep 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add gelatin that has been softened in cold water. Stir until gelatin has melted.
- Cool until mixture begins to thicken. Prepare vegetables and add to aspic after it has thickened.
- Pour into ring mold and refrigerate until firm.
- Cream cottage cheese with mayonnaise.
- Add chopped vegetables and season to taste. Fill center of aspic with cheese mixture.
- Marinate avocado slices and artichoke hearts in Durkee's to garnish, if desired.