Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Instant Chocolate and coffee together, yum!! The espresso adds a coffee flavor that compliments the rich, deep chocolate flavor of the brownies.
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick vegetable cooking spray.
- Fold two 12-inch lengths of foil lengthwise so that they measure 7 inches wide.
- Fit one sheet in bottom of greased pan, pushing it into corners and up sides of pan; overhang will help in removal of baked brownies.
- Fit second sheet in pan in same manner, perpendicular to first sheet.
- Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- In medium heat-proof bowl set oven a pan of almost-simmering water, melt chocolates and butter, stirring occasionally until mixture is smooth.
- Whisk in cocoa and espresso powder until incorporated.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk together eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt in medium bowl until combined.
- Whisk chocolate mixture into egg mixture; then stir in flour until just combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan, spread into corners and level surface with rubber spatula; bake until slightly puffed and toothpick inserted in center comes out with a small amount of moist batter clinging to it, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack to room temperature, about 2 hours, then remove brownies from pan using foil handles.
- Cut into 1-inch square and serve.
- Do not cut brownies until ready to serve, brownies can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated up to 5 days.
These are so good. They are easy to make on top of it. I plan on making more for the holidays. Thanks for another great recipe Mirjam.
I love these Cooks Illustrated recipes.
These are not sweet brownies. These are dense (not fudgy) and bittersweet. What I expected was a subtle coffee flavor that just sort of warmed the chocolate flavor, but instead it's very strong. This is bitter and rich, not sweet or fudgy. I imagine it would be beautiful with raspberry sauce or dried cherries sprinkled in. As it is, this recipe proved to be a little boring because these brownies don't really stand alone as a sweet snack. In need of some tweaking.