1/1 Photo of Sun of a Gun Beef Stew
This stew was a mainstay for many chuck wagon cooks of the early cattle drives. It was often used at social gatherings when visitors would bring a variety of ingredients. This recipe has been modernized for convenience but should be cooked in a well-seasoned cast iron kettle. It can be cooked over an open campfire, charcoal, or on a modern stove. The recipe comes to us from Scottsdale, Arizona's Festival of the West.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs london broil beef, chopped into small squares
- 6 potatoes, peeled and chopped into small squares
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 cups carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 cup peas (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 1/4 cup broccoli, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup turnip, chopped (optional)
- 3 quarts water
- 1/2 cup pearl barley (found in the dried bean section of the grocery store)
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 3 whole bay leaves
- 4 teaspoons parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- to taste cornstarch
- to taste cooking oil (as necessary)
- 1Heat oil in Dutch oven or large skillet. Add garlic and chopped beef.
- 2Brown beef on all sides.
- 3Add onion, stewed tomatoes, and 3 quarts of water.
- 4Add seasoning, tomatoes, potatoes, and onion and simmer for 2 hours watching carefully to be sure the pot doesn't go dry.
- 5Add vegetables and pearl barley and simmer covered for 1 hour.
- 6Add water as needed.
- 7Thicken stew with cornstarch.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sun of a Gun Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (6375 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3294.7
- Calories from Fat 640
- Total Fat 71.1 g
- Saturated Fat 28.2 g
- Cholesterol 589.6 mg
- Sodium 9166.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 422.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 71.9 g
- Sugars 56.2 g
- Protein 249.6 g