Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: A hearty, one-pan breakfast dish featuring Simply Potatoes Shredded Hashbrowns. Hashbrowns, bacon and eggs are dressed up with fresh herbs, sun-dried tomatoes and roasted garlic in this satisfying skillet breakfast.
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons roasted garlic
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely diced
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- sour cream (optional for serving)
- salsa (optional for serving)
- In large (12-inch) skillet, over medium heat, fry chopped bacon just until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels and set aside. Drain all but 1 Tablespoon of the grease.
- Add one Tablespoon of the oil to the skillet, heat over medium heat, and then add the Simply Potatoes Shredded Hashbrowns. Spread the potatoes in an even layer, over the bottom of the pan, and use a spatula to lightly press down.
- Cook 6-7 minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom.
- Drizzle the top of the potatoes with the remaining 1 Tablespoon of oil and use the spatula to turn over the potatoes in about 6 sections. Cook for an additional 6 minutes, or until the potatoes have turned golden brown on the bottom.
- Gently stir the potatoes and add the roasted garlic, red bell pepper, onion and sun-dried tomatoes to the pan. Cook and stir until the peppers and onions are softened and the potatoes have reached 165° for 2 minutes.
- Pour the beaten eggs over the potato mixture, sprinkle with the oregano, basil, salt and pepper, and then stir gently to combine.
- Allow to cook without stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Use spatula to section and gently turn over mixture. Continue to cook until the egg is no longer wet and has cooked through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve alone or with sour cream and salsa.