Recipe by juniperwoman
This delicious and easy soup is the tiniest bit altered from a book called “The Simpler the Better” by Leslie Revsin, where it appeared as “Sizzling Mushroom Soup.” It involves no cream and no blender, and yet comes out creamy! A miracle! Also, you can make it vegetarian by replacing the chicken broth with vegetable broth.
Top Review by GoKittenGo
This is a great weeknight recipe, wonderful alongside grilled cheese sandwiches. I used vegetable broth and added another clove of garlic. It did need just a little more seasoning, but with just a couple of boosts it was simply fantastic. That said, it's one of those recipes that gets my creativity going - I can't wait to try it again with different seasonings. Thank you!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 10 ounces white button mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄3 cup tinned diced tomato
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and the onion and cook until the mushrooms give off their liquid. This will probably take around 3 to 5 minutes. Don’t forget to stir, of course!
- Add the flour and cook 1 minute, then stir in the tomatoes and the broth. Simmer until the onion is tender (about 10 minutes) or until the soup has reached the thickness you desire. Season with pepper to taste. You might want to add a dash of cayenne—it will add a delicious spike of flavor.
- While the soup is in its final 5 minutes of simmering, heat a small skillet with the remaining tablespoon of oil in it. Add the garlic, and sauté briefly, just until the garlic is golden. Pour the oil/garlic combination into the soup, stir, and you’re done! Serve with a nice merlot and you will have a marvelous rainy day lunch.