1/1 Photo of Summery One-Pot Dish With Kale, Tomatoes and Cheese
1 hr 5 mins
I have a share in a CSA farm, which provides me with more kale than I know what to do with (I get curly kale, Red Russian kale, and Toscano kale). This recipe is a nice healthful way to enjoy all that kale! A meal in itself!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs fresh kale
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters (about 6 medium)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- butter or margarine
- 2 onions, peeled and minced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 lb tomato, washed and quartered
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil or 1/3 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh marjoram or 1/3 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 pinch sugar (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 lb grated gouda cheese
- 1Strip leaves from tough stalks and chop. Discard tough stalks. Chop leaves and tender stalks. Combine prepared kale with 1-1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil. Add potatoes and wine. Simmer for 30 minutes or until very tender. Only a little liquid will be left.
- 2Using a potato masher or electric mixer, beat until potatoes and kale are thoroughly blended. Set aside.
- 3While kale and potatoes cook, melt 2 T. butter or margarine in saucepan. When butter is lightly browned, add onions and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent. Now add tomatoes and herbs. Cook until tomatoes are soft. Taste, and add sugar, salt, and pepper to season. Pour into a blender and blend to obtain a medium-thick sauce.
- 4To assemble, butter a 2-quart ovenproof dish and layer the ingredients, beginning with the kale mixture, then tomato sauce, then cheese; repeat once more and top with cheese. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven until hot and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Summery One-Pot Dish With Kale, Tomatoes and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (742 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 514.5
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 64.7 mg
- Sodium 585.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 26.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: