Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was a big hit at a family potluck. It makes enough for everybody and has a rich creamy flavor. I was a little cautious at first because the fresh oregano tasted so strong, but after baking the flavors all blended perfectly. Still, if you like oregano even less than I do try using basil or thyme. If I know I'll be making it ahead of time, I prepare the dish up to the last step the night before and refrigerate it until I'm ready to bake it. Give it an extra 20 to 30 minutes in the oven if you do this.
- 6 -7 cups zucchini (shredded or chopped) or 6 -7 cups yellow squash (shredded or chopped)
- 1 small onion, minced
- 10 1⁄2 ounces condensed cream soup
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 cup cooked chicken, diced
- 1 cup cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 -3 cups herbed croutons or 2 -3 cups seasoned stuffing mix
- In a pot or dish, combine squash and onion with enough water to cover. Cook or microwave until tender, 3-4 minutes (shredded zucchini may be used without cooking). Drain and set aside.
- Mix condensed cream soup, yogurt and carrot together in a separate bowl. Add oregano, chicken and cheese and mix thoroughly. Stir into squash mixture.
- Mix together butter and croutons in a separate bowl. Put half on the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch (3.5 L) baking pan or a deep casserole dish. Add the squash mixture and top with remaining croutons.
- Bake at 350 F (180 C) for 30 minutes.
This tastes and looks very good. I used 3 cups of yellow squash and 1/8 cup of onion. I microwaved the squash/ onion mixture for 6 minutes, doubled the chicken, used 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and 3 cups of croutons. Thanks Valeria for sharing a keeper:) Made for Chef Zaar Alphabet Soup.