Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
An untried recipe. Just waiting for the fresh sugar snap peas to arrive. Adapted from Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole brown mustard seeds or 1⁄2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 3⁄4 lb fresh sugar snap pea, strings removed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- cayenne pepper (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Add the oil to a large skillet or wok and place over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add in the cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- As soon as the mustard seeds begin to pop (should be a matter of seconds), turn off the heat.
- When the oil is cooled to medium temperature, place the pan back on medium heat and add in the peas.
- Stir-fry briskly for a few seconds.
- Add in the salt, thyme, and 3 tablespoons of water.
- Bring to a simmer; cover quickly and turn the heat down to low; cook for about 3 minutes or until the peas are almost done.
- Uncover and add in the cayenne, black pepper, and lemon juice.
- Turn the heat to high and quickly boil away all the liquid in the pan while stirring gently to mix the seasonings.
- Serve right away.