3 hrs 30 mins
From the "Meat Club (Girls Only) Cookbook" by Vanessa Dina, Kristina Fuller and Geema DePalma. "For Gals Who Love Their Meat!" The recipe says to marinate lamb overnight for sumptuous experience. Braise lamb for 2-3 hours for this dish. Can't wait to try it. I didn't include marination time in cooking time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 (8 ounce) lamb steaks, shoulder
For the marinade
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sweet marsala wine
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1Place the lamb steaks in a baking dish or large, heavy-duty self sealing plastic bag ("ziplock").
- 2Combine the soy sauce, Marsala wine, garlic, cumin, paprika, and 3 tablespoons of the oil in a small bowl.
- 3Pour the mixture over the lamb and refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- 4Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Saute the onions until they are translucent and soft. Remove them with a slotted spoon and set aside. Leave the pot on the heat.
- 5In a small bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, cayenne and salt. Take the steaks out of the marinade and coat in the flour mixture. Save the marinade for braising.
- 6Melt the butter in the Dutch oven and brown the lamb steaks. Once the steaks are browned on all sides, pour the reserved marinade, the stock, and the cooked onions over the top, stirring to incorporate any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. The liquid should cover the lamb halfway.
- 7Braise, covered, on the stove top, over low to medium heat for 2-3 hours, until fork tender.
- 8Add the brown sugar and carrots during the last half hour of cooking.
- 9Serve over couscous with lemon slices.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sugar 'n" Spice Lamb
Serving Size: 1 (605 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1049.2
- Calories from Fat 675
- Total Fat 75.0 g
- Saturated Fat 26.8 g
- Cholesterol 175.8 mg
- Sodium 3243.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 20.7 g
- Protein 48.3 g