Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
- 1 (16 ounce) packagefrozen white shoepeg corn
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (I use 1 t.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- cooked and crumbled bacon
- Prepare lima beans according to package directions; drain.
- Put corn in the container of a food processor and pulse 8-10 times or until coarsely chopped In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add flour and stir until smooth; continue cooking and stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Add sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth.
- Add corn; continue cooking and stir often for 12 to 15 minutes or until corn is tender and mixture is thick.
- Stir in lima beans.
- Serve immediately and top each serving with crumbled bacon if desired.
I had never tried succotash until some came with a meal I had ordered at Ruby Tuesday's. I reluctantly tried a bite, and actually liked it. I came here to try to find a similar recipe, and this one sounded the closest. I thought it tasted very similar, but the sauce for this recipe is thicker than what I had had at Ruby Tuesday's. I believe I like the thinner sauce, so next time I will use less flour in the roux. The bacon definitely adds a wonderful flavor to the succotash, so don't leave it out. Thanks for the great recipe!