Prep 6 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe is for a bread machine but I make this on my Kitchen Aid with some amount adjustments. I use this for my stuffing recipes, it's a wonderful change from white bread, and makes a great turkey sandwich bread also!
- 1 cup milk, plus
- 1 tablespoon milk (70F to 80F)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 cups bread flour
- 5 teaspoons dried onion flakes (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 3⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (no more, as it will interfere with the yeast)
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order given.
- Select the BASIC BREAD setting, and the crust colour setting.
- Bake according to bread machine directions.
- Check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1-2 Tbsp water or flour if needed.
I love this bread, and I found a delicious use for it - Savory French Toast. I dipped it in the eggs per usual, then slapped on the butter and maple syrup. It was the most delicious French toast I've ever had.
very good recipe. This will be an annual recipe for my stuffing. I did make it in the bread machine which helped me alot with our crazy schedule. As I was putting it together, I didn't have cornmeal so I used Cracked wheat and didn't have dried onion flakes so used Mrs. Dash original seasoning. Turned out awesome. Next time I will lower the amount of sage to my families liking. Its a great recipe... I'm sure with the ingredients listed it would be great also. instead of my adaptions. A+
Very good, it used it for my crockpot stuffing, I will be making this again for sure. Thanks for the recipe........