Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
One of my all-time favorite entree's! DELICIOUS and VERY LOW-FAT and LOW_CALORIE! My Mom got this recipe from a family friend many years ago. The left-overs are great on bread for a sandwich and my Dad has even eaten slices of this meat roll cold for a snack!
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups breadcrumbs, toasted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 slices bacon (I prefer turkey bacon) (optional)
- 1 dash salt
- In bowl combine egg, oats, 1/2 tsp.
- salt, 1/8 tsp.
- Add turkey and mix well.
- On waxed paper, pat mixture into a 12x9 rectangle.
- In saucepan, cook onion and celery in butter till tender.
- Stir in sage, thyme, pepper, and dash of salt.
- Toss with bread crumbs and 2 T.
- Spread on top of meat.
- Roll up meat, jelly roll style.
- Start from narrow end and seal.
- Transfer roll seam side down to greased baking pan.
- Halve bacon strips crosswise lay atop turkey roll.
- Bake uncovered in 325 degree oven for 60 minutes.
A wonderful alternative to a traditional turkey. No leftovers! Next time, I will add more spices to the dressing, including using chicken boullion instead of water. I would also baste the roll while cooking, as it developed quite a tough crust.