Recipe by urbanhippiemama
My husband makes this dish and it is so delicious! Great comfort food on a cold night.
Top Review by Suzie
I added extra sauce because we like a lot of sauce, and I also added two eggs, only because the cheese mixture seemed dry. Once baked, though, I felt the cheese was too "soupy" with the eggs, but DH disagreed. Bottom line? This is a great BASIC RECIPE that allows for individuality. I want to make it again "sans" eggs, but DH says, "Why?" Well, because THAT'S how the recipe was written! It's a keeper no matter what! Thanks for sharing.
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese (block in a vacuum-packed bag)
- 12 ounces jumbo pasta shells
- 6 ounces shredded parmesan cheese (or parmesan cheese blend)
- 26 ounces pasta sauce
- 1 lb ground beef
- garlic powder (optional)
- salt (optional)
- pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare jumbo shells: boil 5 quarts of water. Add pasta and stir; return to a rapid boil. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Drain well. Separate cooked shells and lay them on wax paper or aluminum foil to keep pieces from sticking together.
- Brown the meat, then add pasta sauce and season to taste with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Heat until the mixture is hot.
- Grate the mozarella. Mix all cheeses in a bowl, withholding some mozarella for topping the dish.
- Coat the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish with meat sauce.
- Stuff the cheese mixture into the shells and line them up in the baking dish in 3 rows.
- Cover each row of shells with meat sauce. Cover dish with foil.
- Bake at 375 for 35 minutes, or until hot all the way through.
- Remove from oven and top with mozzerela cheese. Return to oven to melt cheese.