Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Just got this out of a magazine ("Simply Perfect Grilling") and served it last night. What a hit!
- 5 fully cooked spicy turkey sausage
- 2 ounces monterey jack cheese, cut into thin slices
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 5 slices bacon
- 5 French rolls
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1⁄3 cup red wine or 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- Cut a lengthwise slice in each sausage.
- Insert a slice of cheese and a slice of onion.
- Wrap a slice of bacon around sausage and secure with toothpick.
- Heat wine in sauce pan, add onions and saute until onions are soft.
- Arrange preheated coals around a drip pan.
- Place sausages, cheese side up about the pan.
- Cover and grill for about 10 minutes or until bacon is cooked and cheese melted.
- Serve sausage on buns, topped with onion.
- Of course the normal condiments go well with this too.
We served this last night for our neighborhood cook out, we ran out before everyone and I ended up printing out the recipe for everyone!
WOW, this recipe is the best sausage recipe I have ever had. I was not sure on the turkey sausage but now I will never go back to the pork. I used spicy hot turkey sausages. The flavor of the chese mixed with the onion stuffed inside was delicious and don't forget the bacon. I used two slices per sausage because the sausage was big and we love bacon. Thanks A. M. Collins for a keeper!