Prep1 hr 19 mins
Cook1 hr 45 mins
A nice baked stuffed wabbit! I use oatmeal for the stuffing because I cannot eat bread products, You can always substitute breadcrumbs instead.
- 2 lbs rabbit, whole
- 1 lb turkey sausage, lean
- 1 cup oatmeal, uncooked instant plain
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mixed mushrooms, portabella chopped
- 1 apple, cored, peeled and chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 2 teaspoons rosemary
- dried cranberries
- white wine vinegar
- Wash the rabbit with white wine vinegar.
- Soak the rabbit in salt and water for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Pat dry the rabbit.
- Season inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Mix the sausage, oatmeal, celery, carrots, mushrooms, apple, egg, sage, rosemary, parsley and onions (optional cranberries) together in a mixing bowl. Stuff inside the cavity of the rabbit.
- Tie closed with cooking twine.
- Place rabbit in a casserole baking dish, surround with excess stuffing inside foil, add well-seasoned beef stock, bay leaf and cook for 1 3/4 hours, or until tender.
- Cut off twine and serve.