Recipe by Witch Doctor
This recipe is very close to the dish served at Massa’s Restaurant in Houston. I like mine a little spicy and sprinkle them liberally with Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning.
- 8 whole quail, raw, semi-boneless
- 1⁄2 cup fresh rosemary
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup celery, chopped with tops
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 lb crawfish tail, peeled and pre-cooked
- 1 cup cracker meal (or crushed crackers)
- 2 eggs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (12 ounce) can bing cherries, for sauce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub quail with the rosemary, black pepper, and salt (and Tony Chachere’s, if preferred).
- Prepare stuffing by sautéing remaining vegetables and basil in butter until tender.
- In a mixing bowl combine sautéed vegetables with cracker meal, crawfish, eggs, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Stuff quail liberally and bake in 350 degree F oven for 45 minutes or until done. Don’t overcook.
- Baste with butter once while cooking.
- Place cooked quail on bed of brown or wild rice. Cherry sauce is optional.