Country Fried Quail
photo by Najma masood
- Ready In:
- Spread the quail open and pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine the 1/4 c flour, 1 t salt and 1/2 t pepper.
- Dredge the quail in the seasoned flour.
- Pour oil to 1/4" depth in the skillet and heat.
- Add the floured quail to the oil when it's hot and brown on both sides.
- Remove the quail from the skillet.
- Combine the 3 T flour, 1 c water (or milk and water), and 1/2 t salt.
- Add to the drippings in the skillet and stir to combine.
- Add the quail back in the skillet.
- Add enough water to come halfway up the quail.
- Cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until the quail is done and the gravy has thickened.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Great recipe for my first time preparing/eating quail. Flavorful and easy to make. However, I wasn't sure how to 'split them down the back', so I just used the breast meat - followed the rest of the directions exactly, and it turned out really good. I will keep this on file with my other 'favorite' recipes.
see 1 more reviews