Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
One of our favorites! Spinach, cheese and onions... how can you go wrong?
- 2 large onions
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or more if you LOVE cheese)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- oil (for frying)
- Cut each onion in half lengthwise and loosen center of each half.
- Remove inner piece to make a 1/2" thick shell.
- Finely chop onion centers.
- Saute onion in oil till tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Microwave spinach according to package directions then remove excess moisture.
- Add to onion, and stir in cheese.
- Place onion shells, cut side up, in microwave safe pan with 1/4 C water.
- Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high 5 minutes.
- Drain water and then spoon spinach mix into shells, re-cover, and microwave 7-8 minutes more or till tender.
- Let stand for 3-5 minutes.
This was wonderful. I've made it multiple times and have always gotten compliments on it. I use mozzarella and parmesan instead of cheddar (just because it was all I had), but I'm sure it would also be great as written.
this was a very tasty side dish. I used about 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Did not measure, just grated it into the pan with the sauted onions. I would suggest you microwave onions about 2 minutes, stuff the onions and then nuke about 5 mins so as not to overcook the onions. I thought the onions were a little overdone but was delicious anyway.