Recipe by cannedfood
A great combo with soup or salad ... a perfect “side” with Italian food ... a hearty snack. Garlic Spinach Bread packs homemade flavor, along with a half-cup of a nutrient-rich, colorful array of veggies in every slice. Canned spinach and bell peppers, mixed in a savory bread filling, make each hearty slice into a rich source of vitamins A and C.
Top Review by sarahao
I followed the recipe as written, and served it with soup for dinner. I thought it was good, and my one-year-old gobbled it up. My five-year-old ate the bread and left the filling, and my veggie-phobic hubby said he liked it, but left some of his filling saying there was too much for the amount of bread.
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 411.06 g canchopped spinach, no salt added, drained and squeezed dry
- 118.29 ml diced canned red bell pepper (pimentos)
- 12 large black olives, chopped (optional)
- 0.25 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 59.14 ml freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- kosher salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 453.59 g frozen pizza dough, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and stir 30 seconds. Remove from heat and stir in spinach, peppers, olives, crushed pepper, 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Roll out pizza dough into a 12-inch round using just enough flour on the work surface and dough to keep it from sticking. Brush off excess flour and transfer dough to a baking sheet. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese over the center and mound the spinach mixture on one side of the dough leaving a 1/2-inch border of exposed dough at the edge. Brush the exposed edge with water, and fold the other side of the dough over top, stretching it so that it completely encases the filling. Firmly pinch the edges together sealing the filling inside. Cut 4 slits in the top and brush with remaining olive oil. Bake until crisp and brown, about 20 minutes; cool 10 minutes before serving. Cut in 6 wedges.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving(without olives): Calories 350; Total fat 10g; Saturated fat 1.5g; Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 780mg; Total carbohydrate 50g; Fiber 3g; Protein 12g; Vitamin A 40%DV*; Vitamin C 35%DV; Calcium 15%DV; Iron 20%DV.
- * Daily Value.
- Serving size: 1 slice (with 2.5 ounces bread plus filling).