What a different and delicious dish! This may be assembled a day ahead and refrigerated separately. About 30 minutes before dinner, preheat oven to 350*, remove both from fridge. Bake the chiles, and serve warm with sauce. Adapted from Vegetarian Times. This recipe has it's roots in Africa, Mexico and Spain!
- 12 large poblano peppers (or aneheim for less heat)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped (abut 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 lbs assorted mushrooms, coarsely chopped (your choice)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh jalapeno chile, stemmed and chopped
- 1 (20 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup dried mango, chopped (or papaya, pineapple, craisins)
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tsp.)
- 1 fresh pomegranate, seeded (about 1/2 cup seeds)
- To make Stuffed Chiles:.
- Preheat oven to broil. Place chiles on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally, or until blackened. Transfer to a bowl, cover with a damp towel and cool.
- Heat the veg. oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and saute 5 to 7 minutes, or until mushrooms are brown and crispy.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Peel chiles, then cut slits down sides, and remove the seeds and veins. Fill with mushroom mixture and set in a large baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover with foil, and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- To make Walnut Sauce:.
- Put all ingredients in blender or food processor, and pulse until combined but still chunky.
- To serve:.
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Heat chiles in their foil covered dish 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to serving platter, top with Walnut Sauce and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds. Enjoy!
This was great, the flavors were fantastic. I did as you suggested and made the peppers the day before so dinner was quick tonight.