Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
- 1 large cabbage
- 1⁄2 kg beef mince (ground meat)
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- to taste pepper
- 1 cup butter
- 10 1⁄2 tablespoons flour (plain)
- 3 eggs
- 2 lemons
- Bring a large saucepan of water with salt to the boil.
- Meanwhile remove outer leaves and hard stalk from the cabbage. Wash it and put into the boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Mix the mince with the rice, salt & pepper and knead together well.
- Take each cabbage leaf separately and put on each one a tablespoonful of the mince mixture. Fold the two ends of the leaf inwards and roll it up into a narrow sausage shape. Place some spare cabbage leaves on the bottom of the pan then put the stuffed leaves in concentric circles.
- Place a heavy plate on top of them to prevent them from breaking up during cooking.
- Pour water to cover them and boil for 60-80 minutes.
- When they are cooked put them on a flat dish and prepare the sauce. Put the rest of the butter to melt, add the flour and stir.
- Add some stock from the cooked leaves, stirring all the time and beat in the eggs with the lemon juice. Take the sauce off the heat. Serve the cabbage rolls with the sauce poured over them.
This is a tasty dish prepared as is, wound up with way too much sauce, but otherwise this is good dish for side or main course.