Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great fall side dish.
- 2 large acorn squash
- 3⁄4 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 teaspoons fresh gingerroot, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Cut squash in half. Remove seeds. Place cut side down in a greased 13x9 baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minute or until tender.
- In a large saucepan bring the rice, water, and soy sauce to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15-18 minute or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and butter until almost tender. Add apples. Saute for 3 minute Remove from heat. Stir in rice, cheese, walnuts, cream, vinegar, honey, ginger, and curry.
- Turn squash over. Stuff with rice mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minute or until heated through.