Recipe by Kat's Mom
Posted for a recipe request. I like marinating the cabbage because it takes the toughness out of the cabbage. Cook time includes marinating.
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 lbs cabbage, finely shredded
- green leaf lettuce, for garnish
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 pinch paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine water, vinegar and sugar until sugar is dissolved.
- Add cabbage to the mixture.
- Toss thoroughly.
- Marinate for at least an hour.
- Drain thoroughly in a colander but save marinade to use in one more batch of coleslaw, if desired. (After two uses, the marinade loses its flavor.).
- To make the dressing: In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, sour cream, horseradish and paprika.
- Toss drained cabbage with some of the dressing.
- Serve on plates lined with lettuce leaves.