Black Angus Potato Soup
photo by Gypsy Wife
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 6 cups milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped and divided
- 12 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 1⁄4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 8 ounces sour cream
- Wash, dry and prick potatoes with a fork. Bake at 400 for 1 hour or until done. Let cool and cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the pulp, set aside. Use the skins for something else, such as fried potato skins!
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat, add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Add potato pulp, salt, peppers, 2 Tbsp green onion, half the bacon, and 1 cup of the cheese. Cook until thoroughly heated. Stir in the sour cream.
- Add extra milk if necessary for desired consistency.
- Serve with remaining green onions, bacon and cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This soup is absolutely wonderful. Every time we ever went to Black Angus this was one of our favorites. I have improved on the recipe. If you really like the bacon flavor in the soup, after you cook the bacon save the fat. Substitute one third cup of bacon fat for one third cup of butter and use one third cup of butter to equal two thirds cup of fat. There is a wonderful recipe for the potato skins on this website also.
This is sooooo super yummy. Me and hubby fell in love with this soup at Black Angus, and this tastes exactly like it. I almost forgot to add the cheese and sour cream, and it tasted good even then. I will keep that in mind when I go back to dieting. I didn't really need more bacon on top, because there is so much in the soup already, didn't really need the extra cheese either, but I did top with plenty of green onions and it was super good. Thank goodness there are leftovers. I will have good lunch this week!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Thanks for visiting my page! <br>I am a mother of two small children ( a 2 yo and a 1yr old) and work full time as a police dispatcher. I don't have a lot of free time on my hands, but I do love to cook and bake for my family. I enjoy trying new recipes and experimenting with different ingredients. I try to find easy and healthy meals that all members of the family will enjoy. <br> <br> <br> <br><img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">