Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a delicious apple pie, not too sweet and not too sour.
- 5 medium granny smith apples, cored, skinned, and sliced a 1/4 inch thick
- 2 large gala apples, cored, skinned, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 36.97 ml lemon juice
- 78.07-118.29 ml brown sugar
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 12.32 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml nutmeg
- 4.92 ml allspice
- 6.16 ml ground cloves
- 9.85-14.78 ml white vinegar
- 1 egg
- 395.10-473.18 ml half white flour and half wheat flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 118.29 ml butter, chilled and cubed
- 2.46 ml sugar
- 118.29-236.59 ml ice water (to moisten the dough)
- 118.29 ml white flour
- 118.29 ml wheat flour
- 118.29 ml brown sugar (or more, depending on your taste)
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 14.78-19.71 ml cinnamon
- 7.39 ml nutmeg
- 7.39 ml allspice
- 7.39 ml cloves
- 59.14-118.29 ml very finely crushed nuts (I used hazelnuts, pecans, almonds, and walnuts)
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 118.29 ml butter, chilled and diced
- BAKING INSTRUCTIONS: (see separate components below).
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees farenheit. Assemble the pies and set into the middle rack. Bake for approximately 1 hour or so; until the crust and streusal are browned and the apples are soft. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, warm or cold ( I prefer warm).
- FOR THE CRUST:.
- Add all the dry ingredients together in a decent-sized bowl. Cut/add in the butter and mix with fingertips until crumbly. Knead slightly and add as much ice water as neccesary to moisten the dough (tbsp by tbsp).
- Roll out on a floured surface until 1/2-1/4 inch thick and lay over a pie pan (fluting the edges if desired), brush the sides with honey. Chill until needed.
- FOR THE FILLING:.
- Cut the apples accordingly and add all ingredients ,except for the egg, in a large bowl. Mix well and let sit for 5-6 minutes. Spoon apples only into pie dough, spreading evenly and set aside. Whisk the egg with the remaining juices and spoon a 1/4 cup or so over the pies. Chill until needed.
- FOR THE STREUSAL:.
- Sift together all the dry ingredients and mix well. Cut in the butter and rub with fingertips until semi-clumpy and sandy.
- Sprinkle over pies evenly.