Recipe by Velouria
This recipe came out of my mom's first cookbook, a Family Circle cookbook she bought as a newlywed in 1972. She's been making this wonderful cake ever since. She baked it for my last birthday, and I must say it's still my favorite cake!
For the cake
- 709.77 ml sifted cake flour
- 12.32 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml butter (2 sticks/8 oz.)
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 2.46 ml almond extract
- 177.44 ml milk
- 0.59 ml red food coloring
For the Strawberry Butter Cream
- 85.04 g package cream cheese
- 59.16 ml butter (1/2 stick)
- 78.07 ml mashed fresh strawberries
- 453.59 g package confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- For the cake:.
- Grease two baking pans, 8x8x2; dust with flour.
- Sift cake flour, baking powder, and salt onto wax paper. Cream butter until soft in a large bowl; beat in sugar gradually until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until fluffy again, then flavorings.
- Stir in flour mixture, alternately with milk, just until blended. Spoon half the batter into one pan; stir food coloring into remaining batter; pour into second pan. Bake in moderate oven (375°F) 35 minutes, or until centers spring back when pressed with fingertip. Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; turn out onto racks; cool completely.
- Split each cooled layer; put together, alternating pink and yellow, with part of the strawberry butter cream; frost sides and top with remaining.
- For the Strawberry Butter Cream:.
- Blend cream cheese with butter until fluffy in a medium-size bowl; beat in strawberries. Stir in 2 cups of the confectioners' sugar until smooth. Measure out 1 1/2 cups of the mixture for filling. Beat remaining confectioners' sugar into remaining mixture in bowl for frosting.