- 1 pastry for double-crust pie, sufficient for top and bottom 9 inch crust (see Classic Pie Crust, Idiot Proof Step-By-Step Photo Tutorial)
- 1 lb rhubarb, stalks unpeeled and cut into 1 inch lengths (2 1/2 cups)
- 2 1⁄2 cups strawberries, hulled and halved lengthwise
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking tapioca or 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- milk or cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Roll half of the dough and fit into a 9-inch pie pan leaving a 3/4 inch overhang all around and refrigerate.
- roll the other half of dough into a 12-inch round and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Put rhubarb and strawberries into a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together sugar, tapioca or cornstarch and salt.
- Combine dry ingredients with rhubarb and let sit for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour rhubarb and strawberries into bottom crust, dot with butter.
- Brush overhang with water, cover with top crust, seal edge and crimp or flute edges.
- Cut steam vents into top crust.
- Lightly brush top of pie with milk or cream and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes, reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake 25-35 minutes longer, until crust is browned and juices bubble through the vents.
I never made strawberry rhubarb pie before. This was very easy. Mine turned out a little runny so next time I will try to add a little more tapioca. Got rave reviews at church pie social though.
Love, love, love this pie! I made this for my parents, then ended up in the hospital so didn't get to review until now. I used frozen rhubarb and strawberries that I let thaw and drain well. I was concerned about the pie being "soupy" so used closer to a 1/3 cup of tapioca which was perfect. Delicious! I also used splenda in place of sugar which was just great! Thanks Lor! I'll be making this often with our fresh rhubarb. Made for KK's Strawberry Tag
I doubled the recipe and made 2 pies, one for home and one to take to a fellowship meal. What a hit! Should have taken both to dinner as the first didn't last 5 min after it was cut. This is a recipe to keep close at hand.