Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I also like to drizzle a small amount of strawberry glaze over the strawberries --- you may make this using blueberries or raspberries also --- servings is only estimated :)
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream, unwhipped (can reduce to 1 cup)
- 3 -4 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered (or to taste)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a copper or stainless steel mixing bowl whip the egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy.
- Gradually add in the 1 cup sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks form (about 8 minutes).
- After the whites have been whipped fold in cornstarch and white vinegar.
- Spread the meringue out to a 10-inch circle on the parchment paper leaving a shallow indentation in the middle (to allow the whipped cream to sit on).
- Bake at 300 degrees F for 30-40 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- In a chilled mixing bowl beat the whipping cream until just soft peaks form.
- Add in 3-4 tablespoons confectioners sugar and continue beating until thickened.
- TO ASSEMBLE; top the baked meringue (pavlova) with the whipped cream then top with chopped berries.
This was my first pavlova, and I thought it was very good. The directions were right on and I was surprised that when serving it actually came off the wax paper nicely (unlike everything else I make on wax paper). The only thing I would do differently next time is spread the mixture in a smaller circle to get more of a soft center. Thanks for posting!