Prep 15 mins
Cook 17 mins
You will need strawberry extract for these. I used 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar we like a sweeter muffin, but you can reduce the sugar if desired, these are very good!
- 2 cups sifted flour (sifted before mixing with the other dry ingredients)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 lb fresh strawberries (washed and sliced in half lengthwise then thinly sliced)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 large egg, slight beaten
- 3 teaspoons strawberry extract
- 1⁄4 cup melted Crisco shortening
- Set oven to 400°F (second-lowest rack).
- Line 12 regular-size muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a large bowl mix together sifted flour, baking powder, sugar and salt until well combined.
- Add in the sliced strawberries to the flour mixture and mix to combine with a wooden spoon.
- In another small bowl whisk together the half and half, egg, strawberry extract and melted shortening (the melted shortening added to the cold cream will seem like it is curdled, don't worry this will make a light textured muffin, just mix well with the cream).
- Add the cream mixture to the dry mixture; mix JUST until moistened (do not overmix!).
- Using an ice cream scoop, divide the batter evenly between 12 muffin tins.
- Bake for about 17 minutes.
The only thing I liked about these was the strawberry flavour that you get from the strawberry extract.The texture was like rubber and the shortening made these very white,they wouldn't brown on top.
what would i do with out you!!! lol i consider myself a well seasoned cook/baker, but perhaps i sometimes have a road block in the creative department. my fiance loves you and has no idea who you are lol, but the look on his face when he had a taste of this muffin, and then continued to eat 2 more immediatley was just great! Thanx for being the creator behind by goodness, ive tried many of your recipes and will continue to single your versions out first
These were delicious for breakfast this morning! I used frozen strawberries and folded them in after mixing everything. I also used butter flavored Crisco. Thanks, Kittencal!