Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
- 4 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) package fat free cream cheese
- 1 container strawberry, thinly sliced,for 1 1/2 cups
- 8 teaspoons white sugar
- Combine the milk and cornstarch in the top of a double boiler and stir until the cornstarch is completely dissolved.
- Add the brown sugar, egg whites and oil, and mix well.
- Place the top of the double boiler over simmering water and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a simmer.
- Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Add the cream cheese and continue stirring until the cheese melts and the mixture is smooth.
- Fold in the sliced strawberries and spoon the mixture into 8 ramekins, filling each one about two-thirds full.
- Cover the ramekins with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.
- To serve, uncover the ramekins and sprinkle 1 teaspoon of sugar evenly over the top of each one.
- Arrange the ramekins on a baking sheet and place them under a preheated broiler until the sugar melts, bubbles and starts to brown.
- Serve immediately.