Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Created this recipe so hubby could eat fresh strawberries in bread pudding which cuts the acidity down. Serve hot or cold with whipped topping or ice cream. This recipe can be cut in half if desired
- 10 slices dry hard honey-wheat bread or 10 slices of dry hard whole grain bread
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4-1 cup white sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 1⁄2 cups sliced frozen strawberries, drained (optional)
- Pam cooking spray
- Lay out 10 slices of bread on board. Usually overnight until it is dry and hard.
- Break into two or three inch pieces. Set aside.
- In medium mixing bowl add eggs, milk, vanilla and salt. Wisk to whip and mix.
- In large mixing bowl add cream cheese and sugar. Mix well.
- Add egg milk mixture a little at a time until cream cheese and egg milk mixture is totally mixed.
- Fold in 2 cups sliced strawberries, reserving 1/2 cup for the top.
- Add the hard bread pieces and mix.
- Preheat oven 350*.
- Spray Pam into two quart casserole.
- Put mixed bread mixture in casserole.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup reserved strawberries on top.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes, covered.
This is now one of my favorite bread pudding recipes.
Tasty but next time I will make the following changes. Double the strawberries ...Crush 1 of the cups. Use Half and Half instead of milk. ...Consider adding 1/8 teaspoon of strawberry extract. Make sure not to have the bread to big. When adding to liquid let it soak 10 minutes. Stir a couple of times...I used Splenda and it worked fine. I did this and would have given it 5 stars