Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is one of the best BBQ sauces I have ever had--sweet and tangy and balanced just right.
Make and share this Steven Raichlen's Nashville Sweet Barbecue Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 473.18 ml ketchup
- 118.29 ml firmly packed brown sugar
- 88.74-118.32 ml fresh lemon juice
- 4.92 ml grated lemon zest
- 29.58 ml molasses
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 7.39 ml liquid smoke
- 9.85 ml dry mustard
- 4.92 ml onion powder
- 2.46 ml ground black pepper
- Combine ketchup, brown sugar, lemon juice, zest, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, mustard, onion powder, and pepper in a nonreactive saucepan. Whisk to mix.
- Let the sauce gradually come to a simmer over medium heat and simmer until thick and flavorful, 8 to 10 minutes.
- If not serving the sauce immediately, let cool to room temperature, transfer to air tight jars, and refrigerate until serving.
I originally found this recipe in "Steven Raichlen's~ BBQ USA, 425 fiery recipes from all across America" on page 669. Since then, it's the only BBQ sauce I make! It's a hit every time I make it for family & friends who either request the recipe or any leftovers from what I made! If you like it with a little kick, just add some crushed hot peppers/ cayenne pepper. It freezes well too, so make a double batch to have it on hand throughout the summer... Enjoy!
Very good sauce. DH made this to go with a pork loin this last weekend. This is soooo good. Thank you for posting.