Recipe by Sharon123
The 2003 Iowa State Fair Winner! These are made the old fashioned way with yeast, and are so worth the time it takes! What a way to impress company or for a holiday breakfast.
Top Review by ajean
These were definitely worth the time it took to make them. DH and I saw an episode of Diners Drive Ins and Dives that featured homemade Caramel Pecan Rolls. We came to food.com to search for a recipe that looked similar and this is what we found. The house smelled fantastic and we enjoyed them for days! We made part of the batch without nuts for the kids and they were good as well!
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons fast rising yeast
- 2 1⁄4 cups hot water (120 to 130 F)
- 9 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 lb butter (4 sticks, 2 cups)
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- For Rolls:.
- Cream butter, sugar and salt. Add eggs.
- In a separate bowl, combine yeast and 4 cups flour; mix thoroughly. Add flour mixture to butter/sugar mixture, then add the hot water. Mix well and add an additional 3-1/2 to 4 cups of flour, 1 cup at a time, until soft smooth dough forms. Turn out on lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise until double in bulk, about 45 to 50 minutes.
- Divide dough into 3 equal portions. For each portion: roll out to an 8x14-inch rectangle. Brush with 3 tablespoons melted butter. Combine 1 cup sugar with cinnamon to make cinnamon sugar. Sprinkle 1/3 cup cinnamon sugar and 2/3 cup pecans on each rectangle. Roll up from short side. Cut each roll into 8 slices.
- For Caramel Syrup:.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Add brown sugar, corn syrup and vanilla. Stir until blended.
- Place 1 cup caramel syrup and 1 cup pecans in each of three 13x9-inch pans. (or 1/2 cup syrup and 1/2 cup pecans in 8-inch square baking pans). Place 8 rolls per 13x9-inch pan, or 4 rolls per 8-inch pan, cut side down. Cover and let rise until double, about 45 to 50 minutes.
- Bake at 325ºF for 15 to 20 minutes for 8-inch pans and 20 to 25 minutes for 13x9-inch pans. Cool slightly before turning out of pan.