Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A green candied popcorn. This is from the Taste of Home website - Sent in from Karen Weber of Salem, Missouri.
- 4 quarts popped popcorn
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 8 -10 drops green food coloring
- Place popcorn in a large roasting pan; keep warm in a 250 degree oven.
- Meanwhile, in a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugars, water, corn syrup, vinegar and salt.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer reads 250 degrees (hard ball stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in butter until melted. Stir in food coloring. Drizzle over warm popcorn and toss to coat. Cool.
- Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.
Made this for st. Patrick's day. I just eyeballed the amount of popcorn and used 3 bags of light microwave popcorn. It might have been a tiny bit too much. Next time I'll use half a bag less. I cooked my sugars to 255 on the candy thermometer and it turned out great. I think next time I will try 250 as I like mine gooey. My kids loved this little green surprise. Thanks!
Yummy! Made for the kids for St. Patrick's Day. Had one problem and I should have known better. Hard ball stage occurs between 250-265 degrees. I cooked to 250 on the candy thermometer and my mixture was too soft and gooey. Next time I'll be sure to cook it a little more. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Mmmm so good and so green! Tastes like caramel popcorn- sweet but only green. I agree with the other poster, salted peanuts would also be great with it. Thanks sydsmama! Made for TOTM's Tag It Green.