Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
The actual name for this recipe is "Squirrel Chili," but since it contains no actual squirrel meat, I thought it might be confusing to people who don't know that it's my nickname.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies or 1 (4 ounce) can roasted red peppers
- 2 cups water
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- salt and pepper or Tabasco sauce
- Brown meat in olive oil or butter in a large pot.
- Add onion, bellpepper, and garlic to pan and cook until vegetables are soft.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer uncovered for two hours, stirring occasionally.
We thought this chili was great. The only change I made was to use less water (about half the amount listed) as we prefer a chunkier chili. The seasonings were just right.