Prep 25 mins
Cook 31 mins
From Cooking Light November 2000 Serving size is 1 cup Cooking light stats: Calories 197, Fat 5.5, Protein 12.7 g, Carb 24 g, Sodium 623 mgs.
- 8 cups zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven, bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain, partially mash with a potato masher.
- Combine zucchini mixture, rice, sour cream, cheddar cheese, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and eggs in a bowl; stir gently.
- Spoon into 13x9 baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Preheat broiler.
- Broil for 1 minute or until lightly browned.
This casserole doesn't even taste like squash. I use half yellow squash and half zuccini. I also add 1 1/2 cups baked chicken. It is delicious! Real easy to make also.
Excellent. This is a good replacement for dishes like scalloped potatoes without the fat and calories. I substituted aborio rice because of its creaminess and lower calories compared to brown or white. I also used egg substitute to further lower the fat and calories. Thanks for posting.
This is a wonderful recipe that even has my son who is hesistant about zucchini going back for seconds. (I use basmati rice in all my rice recipes.) I sometimes make it the day before it is to be served as the family likes it the "next" day best.