Instant Pot Roast With Gravy
photo by KateL
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless chuck roast, trimmed (up to 3 pounds)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 ounce onion soup mix
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (up to 1/4 cup for 1 pound of mushrooms)
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, trimmed, thickly sliced (up to 1 pound)
- 1 ounce dry sherry
MOCK CONDENSED CREAM OF WHATEVER SOUP
- 1 cup milk (cold)
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- Press Saute button on electric pressure cooker to heat up pan. When the display says "Hot", add the oil, and wait until it shimmers.
- Sprinkle roast evenly with pepper.
- Brown chuck roast in one layer (if it doesn't all fit, brown in 2 batches, but it is best if all fits on one level) on both sides. Remove chuck roast temporarily.
- Add onion soup mix, beef bouillon cubes, and 2 cups water. Using a flat spatula, deglaze bottom of pan. Return chuck roast to pan.
- Secure lid. Set for Pressure Cooking at High pressure, adjust time if necessary to 25 minutes. Begin "SAUTE MAUSHROOMS".
- When pressure cooking has completed, allow pressure to reduce naturally, until the pin drops on its own, about 20-30 minutes. Remove lid, directing steam away from you.
- Remove roast, keep warm. Press Saute button.
- While roast is cooking, saute mushrooms. Once sauteed, toss in a splash of dry sherry, and let cook down until liquid evaporates. Magic is happening. Once cooked, remove from heat.
MOCK CREAM OF WHATEVER SOUP:
- In a 2-cup liquid measuring cup, whisk milk and cornstarch until well blended. Whisk in softened butter, beef bouillon granules, salt and pepper.
- In the pressure cooker pan (which should be on Saute on the "Normal" or "More" setting), whisk continuously as you slowly add the milk/cornstarch mixture to the pressure cooker pan.
- Whisk until the contents come to a boil (easier at "More" setting). Press Keep Warm/Off button. Press Saute button, then press Adjust button until it shows "Less". Simmer for one minute to thicken.
- Add sauteed mushrooms to sauce, and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Slice roast into large chunks or thick slices, and plate.
- Pour onion and mushroom gravy over slices, or serve in a gravy boat.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!