Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
This hearty (but healthy) vegetarian main is based on a recipe from "Cooking Light" magazine. This recipe works well with substitutions. You can use whatever vegetables you have on hand (eg. substituting another squash for the zucchini). It's a good make-ahead recipe; you can assemble it all ahead of time and then just put it in the oven before dinner-time. Enjoy!
- 6 cups sliced zucchini (about 2 pounds)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 cups cooked white rice or 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese or 1 cup shredded reduced-fat swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain; partially mash with a potato masher.
- Combine zucchini mixture, rice, cheddar (or swiss) cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and eggs in a bowl; stir gently. Spoon mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Preheat broiler. Broil 1 minute or until lightly browned.