1/2 Photos of Squash, Ginger and Apple Soup
1 hr 35 mins
This easy soup is delicious. It is wonderful proof of the theory that ingredients that come into season together are naturally complementary. Autumn, then, is the time to simmer up a pot of this golden potage. The ginger adds a lively kick to an otherwise sweet and mellow dish. You will not be dissappointed!! Serves 8 as a first course, or 4 as a main course. Prep time is the time it takes to bake the squash...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 small butternut squash (2 1/2 lb in total)
- 44.37 ml unsalted butter
- 3 small granny smith apples, cored,peeled and chopped
- 354.88 ml finely chopped yellow onions
- 44.37 ml minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1419.54 ml vegetable stock
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 118.29 ml whipping cream (optional)
- 1Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 450*F.
- 2Line a jelly roll pan with tinfoil.
- 3Halve the squash lenghtwise and with a sharp metal spoon scrape out and discard all the seeds and fibres.
- 4Lay the squash halves, cut side down, on the pan and bake them until they are very tender when pierced with a fork-- about 40 minutes.
- 5Remove the pan from the oven and when the squash is cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh, including any well browned edges.
- 6Chop and reserve the flesh.
- 7In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter.
- 8Add the apple, onion,ginger and garlic and cook, uncovered, stirring once or twice until lightly browned.
- 9(15 to 20 minutes) Add the stock, reserved squash, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- 10Partially cover the pan and cook the soup, stirring occasionally until the apples are very tender, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- 11Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- 12Puree the soup in batches in a food processor or blender, or force it through a food mill.
- 13This soup can be prepared up to 3 days in advance, and will taste the better for it.
- 14Cool, cover and refridgerate.
- 15To serve, return soup to the pan.
- 16Add the cream if you are using it, and heat, stirring often, until steaming, about 5 minutes.
- 17Adjust the seasoning and ladle into bowls.
- 18NOTE: A spoonful of sweetly caramelized apples and a dollop of ginger cream will transform this simple country soup into a dazzling starter.
- 19Or, sprinkle it with crumbled Gorgonzola (about 1 cup), diced raw red apple (about 3/4 cup) and chopped pistachios or toasted pumpking seeds (about 1/2 cup) For Carmelized apples: melt 3 TBS unsalted butter.
- 20Add 2 medium-large cored, peeled and diced Granny Smith apples and cook stirring often until lightly browned.
- 21Add 1 TBS packed golden brown sugar, a pinch of salt and a generous grinding of black pepper and cook, stirring another 5 minutes until the apples are well browned and glazed.
- 22Use hot.
- 23For Ginger Cream: In a small bowl, whisk 1/3 cup chilled whipping cream into soft peaks.
- 24Stir in 1 TBs fresh ginger juice, made by finely shredding the ginger on a grater and pressing it through a seive set over a small bowl.
Browse Our Top Apple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Squash, Ginger and Apple Soup
Serving Size: 1 (674 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.3
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 22.9 mg
- Sodium 605.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.9 g
- Sugars 24.2 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: