Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
What can I say? Our favourite soup- rich, creamy and flavourful.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 large spy apple, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium high heat.
- Add carrots, onions, squash and apple and saute until softened, about three minutes.
- Add allspice, cinnamon, thyme and chili flakes.
- Stir in stock, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Puree soup in batches in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Return soup to pot.
- Add cream and bring to simmer.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt if needed.
- Garnish with chives if desired.
Easy to make. My apple was mealy so I substituted dried cranberries.
Lives up to its description. Easy to make and with a nice zing from all the spices. Wouldn't change a thing.