Chef mariajane's Note:
Fresh and Delightful - For a lovely start to your Easter dinner, simmer together chopped leeks and onion, shelled (or frozen) peas and soup stock. Add fresh mint which brings out the flavor of the peas, and evaporated milk, which gives the soup a velvety flavor. Enjoy!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon crisco vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 cups leeks, chopped (2 large leeks)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cups shelled peas or 1 (750 g) package frozen peas
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup Carnation Evaporated Milk (regular or 2%)
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan or stock pot on medium heat. Add leeks and onion and cook for 5 minutes, until tender. Add peas and stir to coat with leek mixture. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Add mint and season with salt and pepper.
- 2Purée soup in blender, food processor or immersion blender. Return to heat. Stir in evaporated milk. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- 3TIPS: To clean leeks, chop and place in a large bowl of cold water. The dirt will sink to the bottom of the bowl. lift out leeks and rinse in a strainer.
- 4It will take about 4 lb. of peas in the pod to yield 6 cups of shelled peas.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spring Pea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (2455 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 201.0
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 8.1 mg
- Sodium 784.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 10.8 g