1/1 Photo of Spring Minestrone With Chicken Meatballs
Although this recipe calls for carrots and baby spinach, feel free to chop up a bit of whatever fresh vegetable you have to throw into this soup. I've used zucchini, a bit of eggplant....just whatever I have a bit extra of. From Bon Appetit magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces ground chicken (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 6 tablespoons parmesan cheese, finely grated, divided, plus more for garnish
- 4 garlic cloves, 2 minced, 2 thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, white and pale-green parts only, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup ditalini
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and cut int 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 cup Baby Spinach (packed)
- kosher salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
- fresh basil, chopped
- 1Mix the chicken, breadcrumbs, 3 tbsp Parmesan, 2 minced garlic cloves, chives, egg, 3/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp black pepper in a medium bowl. Form into 1/2 inch diameter meatballs. (Should make about 28).
- 2Heat oil in a small pot over medium heat. Cook the meatballs until golden all over about 3 minutes. They will finish cooking in the soup. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- 3Add leek to a pot and cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add 2 thinly sliced garlic cloves; cook for 1 minute. Add the broth and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Add the ditalini and carrots; simmer until pasta is almost al dente, about 8 minutes.
- 4Add the meatballs; simmer until the pasta is al dente, carrots are tender, and meatballs are cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add the spinach and 3 tbsp Parmesan; stir until the spinach is wilted and the Parmesan is melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with chopped basil and Parmesan.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spring Minestrone With Chicken Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (588 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 377.9
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 89.2 mg
- Sodium 820.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 23.2 g