1/8 Photos of Spring Carrots With Yellow Rice
This is a tasty and easy side dish that is also pretty. The julienne carrots are original to the recipe but I use frozen round cut carrots that are still in my freezer from last summer's garden (we had a lot of carrots!) and they work perfectly. That pretty much eliminates all prep time. It reads like a lot of steps but it isn't and goes quickly. I also cut way down on the butter and still get good results and I also find that the given cooking times for the veggies is overlong for my taste. I got this from Epicurious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/3 cups chicken stock
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pinch salt
- 2/3 cup rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch julienne
- 2 teaspoons fresh marjoram or 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Greek oregano, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1Combine 1 1/3 cups stock with turmeric and salt in heavy 2-quart saucepan and bring to boil over high heat.
- 2Add rice, reduce heat to low, cover and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat and fluff with fork. Cover and keep warm.
- 4Melt butter in heavy large skillet over low heat.
- 5Add onion, cover and cook until softened, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Add in carrots, increase heat to medium-low and cook uncovered 5 minutes.
- 7Add marjoram and oregano and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 8Stir in vinegar, sugar and cinnamon and cook a few minutes to blend flavors.
- 9Add 1/2 cup stock and simmer gently until carrots are crisp-tender and liquid is evaporated, about 20 minutes.
- 10Stir carrots into rice. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead to this point and refrigerated. To reheat, turn into buttered baking dish, cover with foil and bake in preheated 325°F oven until hot, about 30 minutes.)
- 11Mix in parsley.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spring Carrots With Yellow Rice
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.0
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 17.4 mg
- Sodium 224.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: