Recipe by Bobbie
Nothing is better than a steaming bowl of this on a cold, stormy winter night. I love to serve this with my Dilly Casserole Bread (#214863)
Top Review by Chef Deb
Oh My...Just made this...It is the most delicious soup...So much flavor (excellent spices) and better than plain Split Pea Soup...I think I will cook my split peas in the 8 cups of water till they start to soften (45 min) then add all the wonderful ingredients...then cook another (30 minutes or so)...That way everything isn't cooking so long just to get the split peas soft...I have this in my favorite recipes folder and I will make this alot...Thank you so much Bobbie for a gem of a recipe...healthy too...
- 1 lb dried split peas
- 8 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed (can use 2 to 3 cups of frozen hash browns)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery (I include some of the flavorable tops as well)
- 2 cups cooked ham, cubed
- 1 meaty ham bone (optional but adds a lot of flavor)
- 5 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine all ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 1 /2 hours ot until peas and vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
- If using ham bone, remove prior to serving and strip lean meat, chop and return to soup.