Green Split Pea Gazpacho
photo by palousebrand
- Ready In:
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups split peas
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 mint sprigs
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- In medium size saucepan bring water to a boil and add split peas. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer peas until soft, approximately 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Rinse saucepan. Using the same saucepan, melt butter on medium heat. Add shallots and cook until softened (not browned) for a couple of minutes.
- Add broth and mint sprigs to the shallots, increase heat and bring to a boil. Add drained split peas and salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for approximately 5 minutes while flavors blend.
- Discard the mint and puree the soup in a large blender until velvety smooth. Be careful the mixture will be hot.
- Blend in the cream.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill to serve cold.
- Blend sour cream and half & half together to garnish, adding fresh mint strips if you desire.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
We grow garbanzo beans, split peas, lentils & wheat berries. Non-GMO Verified & Kosher Parve straight from our fields to you. Now we are bringing you gourmet recipes featuring our products for more check out www.palousebrand.com.