Recipe by papergoddess
This is my mom's recipe, and it is interchangeable for split pea or lentil soup.
- 4 -6 slices bacon, diced (I like thick country bacon)
- 1 lb dried split peas or 1 lb lentils
- 1 leek, finely chopped (make sure you wash leeks very well, or they can be gritty)
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 turnip, diced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 -2 cup chopped cooked ham (optional) or 1 -2 cup hot dog, slices (optional)
- dry sherry (optional)
- mint leaf (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute bacon until crisp.
- Add leek, celery, and pepper to the bacon and drippings. Saute until veges are limp.
- Rinse peas or lentils. Place in a deep, heavy dutch oven.
- Add veges from pan also carrots, turnip, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, and chicken broth.
- Simmer slowly for 2 hours Add chopped ham if you have it and warm through.
- Serve with 1-2 tbs. dry sherry and mint leaves per bowl.