Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is like a kicked-up potato kugel... make certain to squeeze out any excess moisture in the shredded potatoes before mixing them in with the other ingredients, you can even shred the potatoes a day ahead and leave them sit in cold water in the fridge overnight. You will love this!
Top Review by karen
What a refreshing change from regular kugel. I made a half batch using 10 oz of frozen spinach, 2 medium potatoes (unpeeled) 2 eggs and 2 tiny onions. Everything else was pretty close to half the original. I skipped the potatoes in water step, but did put the onions through the food processor before the potatoes, and sprinkled a tsp of lemon juice over the top. This did a pretty good job at keeping the potatoes from turning grey before they got into the oven. I would say that a half recipe which filled a deep dish pie plate to the brim, would easily serve 6 if you made this as a side dish and not your entree. I would highly recommend freshly grated parmesan and cooking it uncovered for the last 30 minutes. I loved the crunchy top!
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, defrosted (or 2 pounds fresh cooked, drained and chopped)
- 6 -7 medium potatoes (coarsely shredded and soaked in cold water until ready to use)
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- seasoning salt or salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional, or use 1-2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (can use 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh finely chopped dill (can use 1/2 teaspoon dried dill)
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a shallow 2-quart casserole dish.
- Squeeze out as much moisture from the spinach as possible with your hands; set aside.
- Drain the potatoes from the cold water and squeeze out any excess water with your hands, and place the potatoes into a large bowl.
- To the potatoes add in eggs, 1/4 cup melted butter, salt, pepper, chopped onion, parsley, garlic powder (if using) and dill; mix well to combine.
- Transfer HALF of the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Top/sprinkle with all of the spinach, and then the feta.
- Top/spread with remaining potato mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and dot with butter, place back in oven covered or uncovered (if you prefer a crispy top on your casserole then leave uncovered).
- Bake for another 30 minutes.