Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Perk up rice with herbs, spices and add colour with spinach to make a great midweek meal.
- 7 ounces spinach, washed & roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 ounces butter
- 9 ounces basmati rice
- 5 1⁄2 ounces chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 1 7⁄8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- Cook the onion and garlic in the butter in a large shallow pan until soft and golden.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until softened. Add the spices and cook for 2 minutes, then stir in the rice, lemon zest and stock. Cover.
- Cook on a gentle heat for about 15 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir through the spinach and lemon juice, cover for 2 minutes until wilted and serve.
Loved the flavour...served along side Crusted Pork Loin... paired with an Oregon Pinot Noir.
Absolutely wonderful!! Made it exactly and it came out perfect. Made for the India Tag Game in the Asian Forum.